Six months after taking over as Sunday editor when Mike Henneke left for an advertising job in Montana, some of my friends still wonder, well, what exactly it means to be the Sunday editor.
A common misconception is that I am the editor in charge of the newsroom on Sundays. While I fairly often drop by the office for a bit on Sunday afternoons, news editor Kim Jackson steers the ship on that day of the week; Kim works a Sunday through Thursday schedule, city editor Karen Petersen works Monday through Friday, I work mainly Tuesday through Saturday, and editor in chief Hasso Hering just sort of works every day.
Being the Sunday editor basically means ensuring we have quality content for the Sunday paper each week and helping two copyeditors, Kate Schell and Joy Pariante, put the Sunday pages together. So basically I work every Saturday to help the readers of the Sunday edition have something to see.
Kate, Joy, reporters AnneMarie Knepper and Emily Gillespie, a rotating tandem of photographers — usually some combo of Jesse Skoubo, Amanda Cowan and Andy Cripe — and myself are your weekend warriors when it comes to compiling the news. All of those people do a great job, so whenever you see a Sunday paper you like, give them the credit — and of course, if you don’t like it, give me the blame and I’ll try to help us all do better next time.
Anyway, in honor of our Saturday-for-Sunday crew, and because I love music and needed a Top 7 topic, here we go with this week’s list, my favorite songs with Saturday, Sunday or weekend in the title:
1. Out on the Weekend, Neil Young. Think I’ll pack it in and buy a pickup, take it down to LA. Find a place to call my own and try to fix up, start a brand new day.
2. Saturday Night Special, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Handguns are made for killlin’, ain’t no good for nothing else. And if you like your whiskey, you might even shoot yourself.
3. Sunday, Bloody Sunday, U2. Broken bottles under children’s feet, bodies strewn across the dead-end street. But I won’t heed the battle call. It puts my back up, puts my back up against the wall.
4. Saturday Night’s Alright for Fightin’, Elton John. Don’t give us none of your aggravation, we’ve had it with your discipline. Saturday night’s alright for fighin’, get a little action in.
5. Saturday in the Park, Chicago. Will you help him change the world? Can you dig it? Yes I can. I’ve been waiting such a long time for today.
6. Pleasant Valley Sunday, the Monkees. Creature comfort goals, they only numb my soul, and make it hard for me to see. My thoughts all seem to stray, to places far away; I need a change of scenery.
7. Everybody’s Working for the Weekend, Loverboy. You wanna piece of my heart? You better start from the start. You wanna be in the show? Come on baby, let’s go.